Monday, July 15, 2019

Preparing for a dyeing class with Sue Benner 07-15-19

To be honest, if I had realized how much work was involved just getting ready for the class I might have taken a pass on it!!  All that fabric to scour and then soda ash, all the odds and ends of equipment almost overcame me.  I think I am ready and have almost everything, guess I will have to do some more shopping after I get up to Washinton state.  We had planned to leave today, but since I always leave too many things for the last minute, we just werent' ready.  So, tomorrow morning we will be on our way.  KoKo has never been on a Road Trip, I hope he enjoys it.  Since we are leaving a day late our driving hours will be longer each day.  I think back to when I was 19 or 20 and would drive from Arcadia to Portland to see my mother and it only took 24 hours.  It was at that time not an Interstate Highway most of the way and the distance was exactly 1000 miles from portal to portal.  As the years have passed I have gotten slower and cannot drive as long in a stretch as I once did.  More breaks along the way are necessary also.   Now each long Road Trip I take I think it may be my last.  My late husband and I talked often of driving the perimeter of the lower 48 states, but never could schedule the time.  I'd still like to do it, but don't think I could go alone.  It would take months to do it, it is something over 12,000 miles.  

Placentia, CA to Mt Vernon, WA. is 1,225.6 miles - total driving time is estimated at 19 hours and 48 minutes.  That doesn't count gas stops, pit stops, eating, or sleeping.  And it is all on Interstate 5.   

I'll try to keep you posted along the way. 

#   #   #

2 comments:

Carol said...

I hope you had a smooth day. I will enjoy your trip! Pets to KoKo!

Loretta said...

Have yourself a safe and sane trip. This morning I stopped at AAA for additional maps so I know what to expect in Oregon about 500 from home for my overnight. This weekend I'll visit a friend who makes the trip every year and she'll be able to fill in any gaps in travel info I need -- also helpful hints on road conditions...she and her husband will be home tomorrow.

I too have a huge amount of stuff I'm putting together for Wen's class...but I'm hoping to produce my best work ever -- we'll see!

Enjoy your time and the beautiful visit to Coupeville.