Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Food, again 03-16-20

As some of you know, cooking for one can be a problem.  I like salads, but not every meal, or even every day.  So, I buy a head of lettuce, of cabbage, a couple carrots, some radishes, cucumbers, and other fresh veggies.  But by the time I come even close to using them up they are no longer edible.  Instead I buy a package of already chopped veggies in various "salad kits".  I can take out a handful or two of chopped things, add my own dressing and have a side salad with my meal.  Or, I can dump the packages into my large mixing bowl, stir them up, add some of my own ingredients (sliced olives, chopped dates, any kind of cooked beans like cannellini or garbanzos, leftover chicken, chunks of cheese, orange segments, canned pineapple, whatever is available).  Of course, I need to eat all of this within a couple days, but that isn't a problem for me, I can eat the same thing for several days.   Some of the "salad kits" can also augment a veggie soup, not those with leaf lettuce, romaine, or kale, but chopped cabbage, carrots, etc.  Right now there isn't much on the shelves at the market, but they will be back.  Just be sure to check the expiration date so that you can use the entire package before it expires.  

I have added black olive slices to this mix.  

It came with small slices of flatbread and vinaigrette dressing. 

This is the bag, bought at Ralph's.  But every store I have been in lately has walls full of many varieties. 

I liked this one from Trader Joe's.  Notice the expiration date in the upper right corner.  There are almost always packages on the shelves that are past their expiration dates.  CHECK.



#   #   #





2 comments:

Loretta said...

Thanks very much for the inspiration. Take care and stay well.

Rebecca said...

That's quite a list of additions. I should write some of them down.

I like to drink my greens. I found a site called Simple Green Smoothies that has recipes, and inspirational guidelines (60% fruit, 40% greens, with water or non-dairy milk). I do love my fruit, too. ;-)

My mother gave me a book called Cooking for One when I first lived alone. The problem with it was all the single-serving meals. No leftovers, and cooking every meal wasn't great.