Saturday, February 27, 2021

KoKo is sick! 02-27-21


Yesterday morning KoKo didn't want his breakfast!  It has happened a couple times in the past, but eventually he would go back to his bowl, eating every bit of kibble.  He wasn't very perky on our morning walk, but seemed happy to ride in the car to stay with Nancy and Bud for a few hours while I went on to Oceanside to pick up my "Palms" quilt and have lunch with two friends.  He didn't finish his breakfast at Nancy's.   Back at home he threw up what little he had eaten.  As the evening went on he grew lethargic and around midnight he was shaking all over.  I was afraid he was having a seizure and looked up an emergency vet.  It is way on the west side of Fullerton and we arrived about 12 50am.  It looks like a well kept place and the young woman who took KoKo inside (Covid rules: nobody can go inside with their animals) was pleasant and gentle with him.  After about 40 minutes she came back out and told me the vet thought he had Gastroenteritis, but more tests were needed and I would have to leave him overnight at least.  Somehow my inner monitor told me "No".  I signed the papers that I was refusing further treatment (what?  all they did was take his temperature and examine him).  We drove home on the deserted streets, he threw up some more, but finally settled down and slept on my lap all night.  I drove us to our usual  vet, "Circle of Friends" in Yorba LInda, hoping they might be able to see him right away when they opened.  No luck.  But there was an appointment at 11:30am, so we drove back then.  The vet did some blood tests, X-ray, gave him some hydration, medication, and a thorough exam.  She came out to tell me that his problem is  Pancreatitis. Not unusual in dogs and treatable.  Just like people it is caused by a fatty diet and lack of exercise, neither of which apply to KoKo. He eats the kibble recommended by the vet and does not eat people food.   Why he has this condition is unknown, but once he has it he is more likely to have it again in the future.   He has antibiotics, pain pills, and a liquid to reduce vomiting.  He can only have a canned dog food for "delicate stomachs" and I am to give him just a few Tablespoons at a time today and tomorrow.  He gobbles it down!  So far he has not been drinking water, which is a worry as he has always been a big "drinker".  He has been sleeping a lot, but we did go for about a half a walk tonight without any poopy.  But there isn't much in there to come out since he threw up so much last evening and night.  I am still very concerned and hope I am doing everything right.  I have a new understanding of parents who have very sick children in the middle of the night or on weekends.  Guess I will try to identify an emergency vet that I will feel more comfortable with, in case my "child" gets sick when our regular vet is closed.  Of course they are closed on Sunday, so I am on my own until Monday morning when I am to report his condition and get further instructions..  Meanwhile, I am feeling a bit better, but sooo tired and my injection site is still swollen and itchy.   All I can think of is "We will get through all this.!"

#   #   # 

4 comments:

Loretta said...

Oh dear, yes you both will get through this episode. Off doc hours are always worrisome! Both of you, take a big nap today, if you feel up to it, take a little walk when you both are up to it...and take care.

Mary Ann said...

Oh Koko get well little friend. Your Mom needs you!
Bobby

Sherrie Spangler said...

Oh no! Poor Koko and poor YOU! I hope you both feel better soon.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I'm so sorry Koko is sick. It is worrying when a child or a pet is sick. It sounds like he is in good hands though and I do hope that he feels better soon.