Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Fabric Addiction 12-19-23

I grew up in a sewing family, so there was always fabric around.  My maternal Grandmother Marie lived through WWI, the flu epidemic, The Great Depression, WWII, five children, early widowhood, and a lifelong lack of money. She lived by "Use  it up, wear it out, make it do, or  do without." Her quilts were made from scraps and recycled fabric, even un-faded underside of pockets on aprons and skirts.  We saved every tiny scrap when sewing our clothing  and eventually they would go into a quilt.   Eventually we had enough money to go to Teeny's  Variety Store or even a department store, to buy yardage for clothing.  And for the scraps.  Anyway, I have always loved printed cottons  and cannot resist buying them, although I have a house full of fabric.   I try to avoid online fabric, but I enjoy eQuilter's owner Luana Rubin's posts about her quilting travels and excellent photos of quilt shows around the world.   And then I have to look at the sale fabric and try to just look.  Alas, I frequently breakdown and buy a few yards when they  are less than $10 yard.   Here are  some recent purchases.

Oranges for the orange quilt I will make someday.  Since I have collected orange prints for several decades I have enough to make about 20 orange quilts!  When I  need an orange fabric I try to cut very carefully lest I use up something I will need desperately later.

There are four fabrics here that I bought to make quilts or pillowcases for our Philanthropy group kids projects. The bottom two rows are  the same fabric which has horizontal rows depicting Noah's Ark. Above that is a barnyard of animals.  Then a spooky sort of lion print.  And at the top several yards of a bright print to use as the backs.  Whatever I make I will try to machine quilt myself as members who are willing to do the quilting are few and far between.    Long-armers are trying to make a  business with their work, they can't use their time for free very often.   



 

#     #    #

No comments: