Friday, January 9, 2009

Name of the rose? 01-09-09

My friend Toni and I met for lunch Wednesday in the old town area of the city of Orange. The restaurant Rutabegorz is such a reliable place to eat - there are three locations and the food is pretty much the same at each. They recently started offering 'small' salads in addition to their regular which comes in a medium sized mixing bowl! I've never come close to eating all of one if their salads and I didn't this week either. The 'small' is not small enough. But I brought the rest home in a doggie box and had it for dinner last night. Located in an renovated 1900s house they have a lovely patio area and next door they have converted another house into a bed and breakfast. To enter the B&B you walk through an arch covered with a lovely single blossom climbing rose. It appears to have been there for a very long time and the blossom seems familiar, but I can't remember a name and haven't been able to find it online. Does anyone know the name? When the lady at the B&B saw me photographing she came out to see if I knew the name. I told her if I could find out I would let her know.

This image shows how light the backs of the blossoms are.

While this one catches all the stripes and dots on the front.
Corky is going to be here all weekend, so we are both 'happy campers' at Camp Del. It is very windy so there are all sorts of taps and bangs and scratchy sounds. Neither of us is afraid, but it is nice to have company.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Beverly said...

The roses are lovely, but thoughts of a meal at Rutabegorz are even lovelier. It would make my top five list of things I really miss from SoCal--sigh. (Trader Joe's is first, hands down.)

Del said...

Thanks for your comment, Beverly. Next time I dine at Rutabegorz I will take some inside pictures. I thought I would on Wednesday, but the place was packed w/people with their mouths open. I enjoyed checking out your blog, but couldn't find an e-address to respond directly to you. Del

Terry Grant said...

I'd love to know the name of that rose, too. I am looking for nice climbing roses with an old-fashioned look and this one is beautiful.

Del said...

If I find the name I will let you know. And I'll probably post it in this blog.

jpsam said...

Okay, I'll bite. Do we know approx. when it was planted (how long it has been there)? Is there fragrance? How about Rosa 'Fourth of July'? The foliage looks pretty healthy. I'd guess it's a semi-double climber. Here's a picture:
http://www.adamsons.ca/climbers.html
joan

Del said...

Joan - I wondered if I should just e-mail you directly to start out with. That is definitely the same rose. Thanks a million!

meggie said...

That rose is specatacularly beautiful! I love it.