Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Monterey Bay Fisherman's Wharf 04-13-09

When I was in Pacific Grove early in March the exhibit at Back Porch Fabrics showed quilts made by Gail Abeloe and her lovely employees. I don't know what the official name is for this type of quilt ["collective"?], however they have always fascinated me. I think this one made by some of the Back Porch ladies is extra nice. If anyone is ever looking for another body to do this sort of thing, give me a call!

Here is a view of all eight segments of the quilt hung together. The pink cast to all these pictures comes from the special lighting in the shop.


Across the top is the photo they based their designs on.


And these are the participants - the list identifies the quiltmakers from left to right. Not all the employees were able to join in this challenge. However, there were many individual quilts also hanging in the gallery.

For individual pictures of this 'collective' quilt see: http://tinyurl.com/dcluru

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

This really turned out to be a wonderful piece of art. I believe they are called either slice quilts or fractured quilts.

And I LOVED the Sound of Music video- thanks for sharing.

imquilternity said...

These are stunning! Not only as a collective quilt, but as individual quilts as well. Just gorgeous!