Tuesday, October 25, 2011

New car shopping 10-25-11

Two and a half years ago I sold my lovely Dodge Caravan because it had 230,000+ miles and I was leery about driving it on a road trip to remote areas.  The Lexus 330RX seemed that it would fill my needs, but with the problem I have had with my hip I have increasingly felt that the the uncomfortable seat was aggravating the problem.  So, before I went to PIQF I rented a Chrysler Town & Country van to see if it would make a difference.  It did!


I accept that at 73 I can no longer do the marathon 10 - 12 hour drives, but the last few years I have found that I need to stop every 1-1/2 to 2 hours to walk around and stretch or I can't get out of the car when I arrive at my destination.  Driving the van home last Monday I did the six hours with only one gas stop plus one pit stop and I could get out of the van and walk when I got home!   So I am convinced that the Lexus is part of my hip problem.  I'm going to try some other vans, I wish that Dodge and Chrysler still made a short van, because the long van is really more than I need.  One requirement is that it must have sliding side doors, something that I have missed and appreciated in the Town & Country.  They make loading quilts, quilt stands, luggage and ...everything so much easier.
If any of you have suggestions, advice, comments, whatever, I hope you will share with me.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

linda said...

no suggestions from me, but my experience: 18 yrs ago, we car-shopped and settled on a Saab, stick-shift (1st ever car a VW beetle so no prob; also living in Europe where standard transmissions still pretty normal), with only requirement air-conditioned. Found what I wanted, went for a test drive and found feet couldn't reach clutch engagement and gas pedal an uncomfortable stretch. Tried another model with heated power seats and fitta fine. Have loved that Saab ever since, now 18yrs on. Figure my short legs (Swedes=tall) cost $2000, but have recooped that many times over in car-longevity. Good luck with your hunt, because I know for sure you spend more time in your vehicle than I do in mine.

Susan Turney said...

I found that my hip hurt when I was getting in and out of lower cars so switched to an SUV and no longer have the problem. If you don't need such a big van maybe you should check out the SUVs. So many have electric back seat "flatteners" and all kinds of buttons to make loading and unloading easier. I have an Infiniti EX now but the FX is larger and may fit the bill.

Suzanne Kistler said...

My sister swore by her Lexus SUV, until she drove a Dodge Durango two months ago. She didn't want to return it to the rental place, and actually turned around and bought the Dodge.

Know anyone who wants to buy a Lexus?

Del said...

M-m-m-m, if they don't want hers, maybe they will want mine!

June said...

When I was having hip trouble, a friend of mine told me about her parents who had one of those old boat vehicles with seats that turned sideways when you needed to get out. That sounded heavenly to me at the time -- just stand up and leave, rather than scrunching around and over the lip of the bucket seat, ducking my head under the roof, and finally landing on the road, with my hip screaming.

Somehow I doubt such a luxury exists any more, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Vivian Helena said...

Hi Dell, I had and loved my Dodge van also.. but finally had to sell it when it went over the 200, ooo mark also..
We bought the Honda Odyssey,last year and we love it.. It is not as long but still has many advantages as the Dodge.. I liked that the mats were finished on the edges, and the Toyota was not and charged extra.. also like that there is a hidden package area between the front and rear seats.. Don't know if they still make that, but was a plus.. I know the mats are not a big thing,but my thinking was that if they took the time and were included, other items were probably as well thought out.
For seating, keep trying out the vehicles, it just depends on your body.. the most important part of driving is awareness, and comfort.