Monday, October 24, 2011

PIQF 2011 The End 10-24-11

Here is part two of the last post on PIQF

If you are interested in the PIQF '11 winners go to:

http://www.quiltfest.com/activities_detail.asp?id=5611.


http://theartquiltassociation.com/home

The Green River curves and swings back and forth carving wondrous shapes as it wears the earth away.

I like the color and the use of the speckled fabric which quite accurately shows the spare scrub typical of this Western landscape. 

Mary has been doing more watercolor painting than quilting the last few weeks, so she saw this from a painter's point of view.  I think the background is especially effective.

Here is another quilt that I really like.  Great movement, great color and it is large!


I haven't been to Catalina in a lot of years, but when I saw this quilt it rang a bell - the murals are lovely.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The quilt below is a mystery to me.  I think it is a funny quilt, but it isn't traditional in any sense of the term as far as quilting terms go.   It was in the wrong category.   Why isn't there a policy of moving quilts which are entered incorrectly?  It seems so disrespectful to the makers of the wonderful traditional quilts that were in the correct category.

 Traditional: Best Interpretation of Theme:  "Swan Lake de los Muertos"  by Nancy Arseneault

Great totebag.  Actually, these ladies weren't shopping at the moment, but looking at brochures.
 
I'm not sure what this device is - I-Pad? - but it is the first time I have seen someone using something like this to photograph quilts at a QShow.  She is explaining how to use to the lady to the left.  Seems awkward to carry around, but she may not find it so.  I guess I'll stick to my point and shoot Canon.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Tanya Brown said...

The first time I entered PIQF I, like the creator of the quilt with the dancing skeletons, entered my work in the traditional category. It was an honest mistake, made because I didn't consider my work "innovative." I certainly didn't intend any "disrespect" to the other show entries. I wonder if something similar happened in this case? That said, it would indeed be nice if entries were recategorized when it's appropriate.