Sunday, October 23, 2011

PIQF 2011 10-22-11

Today was a day of rest - mostly.  And I needed it.  I've always heard debate about whether or not one can catch up on sleep - I am one of those who believes that I can.  When I get really wiped out if I can just spend about ten hours mostly resting I am revived.  Corky and I snoozed and I read and worked on pictures for my Blog and then I snoozed a bit more.  We did go out to have the car washed before I put back all the stuff I had moved to the rental and Corky took me for a walk.  Strangely, I am ready to go to bed already.  Tomorrow will be a better day.

I'm sorry I didn't take a detail of this whole cloth quilt to show the painted tree.  It is very striking.
 

Both Mary and I initially saw this as an abstract design.  But when we stood back we could see the trees - a sort of reversal of the old saying "can't see the forest for the trees"!   This quilt was the 1st place winner in the innovative category at the World Quilt Competition.

This detail shows the many layers Patti used to depict the forest floor.

The label doesn't mention applique, but there is obviously a lot of raw edge applique in the details.


I think this is a handsome quilt - the background color/fabric is quite wonderful.  And the outlined fruit makes a great contrast to the solid fruit - clever.
However, the quilting is very weak and there is no apparent quilting in the center of the quilt. 

It appears that some of the applique is held on just by fusing.
 
WOW!  What great color for the background.  I think setting the rectangles like bricks instead of square on helps make the color flow - an idea I might use on a project that has been stalled for about four years.
Against such a rich "ocean" the fish almost vibrate. 


Another great, innovative quilt - I apologize for cutting off the bottom (white) border.

The amazing digitized quilting creates a continuous texture that helps with the "jumping".  In this quilt the quilting doesn't follow the design, but becomes another layer that adds to the "message".

The shadows are grey fabric - didn't the artist do a great job of cutting them accurately.
There is yet another layer in this quilt - here is the letter "F" fused to the surface before the quilting.  I think it was part of the word "life", but I didn't write it down, so I don't remember for sure.

What fabulous hand quilting!  It was surely a labor of love.  How sad that it was folded face inward to create that ugly crease across the middle.  Since it is traveling to different venues it could be a permanent crease by the time it returns to New Zealand.

Sometimes there are too many people and I miss getting a picture.  In this case I missed the whole quilt.  But I like the color and the style - very much like that of Eileen Lauterborn whose quilt I showed a few days ago.  The technique is different, but the effect the same.

And I missed the whole quilt again here.  It was very popular and I waited and waited, but then was distracted and didn't go back when I had a clear shot.   Maybe someone else took a full image and will send it to me. ??
Hoopoe - Upupa epops  I didn't know that the Hoopoe is a bird found in Israel, but I have never been there.  I looked up "Birds of Israel" on Google and was surprised at how many I recognized from other areas.
On the left is what I think is a Palestine Sunbird - Nectarinia osea - although I can't be sure.  I didn't find any hummers listed for the area, but that is surely a hummer on the right
Posted by Picasa










4 comments:

Gerrie said...

The Hoopoe was named the national bird of Israel in 2008 by vote of the citizens. Interesting because the bird is not Kosher - it is listed in the Old Testament as unclean! I have really enjoyed your PIQF posts since I missed the show this year.

Terry Grant said...

That Canadian Rockies quilt is spectacular!

Loretta said...

Soooo many quilts in one show!!! I too missed a good number even after spending two days viewing. Thank you for filling me in.

Patty ♣ said...

What a wonderful show this must have been! I am sorry to have missed it.
I have to say that the 'Alberta Rockies' is my favorite here, though I love the others!!