Monday, October 24, 2011

PIQF 2011 10-23-11

I returned Corky to his parents this afternoon and was surprised by the drop in temperature from 83F at my house in Placentia to 63F at his house in Long Beach.  It was also still very foggy there at 3pm.  Tonight I am missing the little guy - even though he sleeps most of the time, I always know he is here because he snores so much!   At fifteen he is almost completely deaf and very stiff in his arthritic joints (just like his Nanny), but when out for his walk he trots along like a puppy.  Since he is all white he doesn't show grey hairs, so people think he is indeed a puppy. 
These images from PIQF are all from the same special exhibit - one I found very interesting.  This group of quilters is following a new path to integrate their interest in photography with their fabric lust. There are so many different aspects of quiltmaking to keep our interest moving forward - this is just one of those ways which attract new interest to our quilting world.


Some of the group live in the Monterey Bay area and have participated in the movement to preserve the historic lighthouses along the coast.   This rather ghostly image reflects both the past and the hopeful future for the Point Pinos light.

A fanciful image, but nicely executed.  I find the reflections on the silk rather distracting and it makes me wonder about the other fabrics that might be used - cotton, poly, wool?  I wonder if one could even print on a fine wool with a hard surface - wool absorbs the light and might increase the appearance of depth.

I cannot see any jellies!



Wonderful airy layers with ghostly colors - like light through water or leaves floating through the air.  This is a lovely piece, but difficult to photograph.
I took this detail from a side angle to show the depth and the bead attachment.


This would not be nearly as interesting if Nancy had not inserted the narrow strips, breaking up the (about) 33" width and length.  This is printed on cotton - perhaps accounting for the improved clarity of the image.


I keep wondering if I have the label wrong since I cannot see any writing on the vertical strips and no mention of who this cute little gal/guy might be.  The fish in the lower right are nice, but don't seem to fit in with anything else in the quilt.   Because of the clarity of the images I think EQ Printables must be cotton.
 

Clever idea and a different take on using the photographs. 

I have, I think, one more post of photos from PIQF '11, but if you yearn for more, check out the C&T Flicker page:
They have taken entirely different quilts than I have posted, some of which I didn't even see.

Also see the Quilt Show blog post on the BOS:
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

June said...

Somehow I find these images to be more interesting than quilted pieces that don't seem to be specifically entered into this category. It's as if the artists knew they had to use the photograph to make art, not pretend that the photograph - on-fabric, quilted, was art.

I'm not expressing myself well, but I'm glad to see these and thought they showed a great use of all the mediums.