Thursday, November 3, 2011

Memories in Autumn 11-03-11

Toward the end of October 1989 my late husband and I took our last trip together up to the east slope of the Sierra to camp at our favorite fishing spot, Bishop Creek Campground.  It was a glorious autumn that year, with brilliant yellow and gold all around us.  This year I had hoped to take a few days to drive up there on a sentimental journey, but I may have missed my chance this year as snow is predicted for the Sierra.
 
As you can see from the label below, I made this 17"W x 22"L quilt for the 2007 Journal Quilt project which required the artists to use new techniques.   I had not done many photos on fabric so I needed to do some experimenting to get what I needed.  There have been a few photo-to-fabric efforts since 2007, but not many.  I like the way this quilt turned out, but I don't hang it often because it makes me sad.  After 21 years and 9 months I still miss him and think often of how things might have been without the cancer.




Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

dee said...

Beautiful and touching piece. Unfortunately, I can relate all too well to your emotional feelings about the quilt.
Thanks for letting us see it.

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous quilt, Del. I'm so sorry that it still grieves you to look at it. I love your comment on his striding ahead.....I can't even begin to understand your loss. Thanks for sharing.
Lisa

Christine Thresh said...

Your "Last Walk in Autumn" quilt is so wonderful. I wrote to you about it sometime back. It makes me gulp. What a beautiful expression of love.

linda said...

enjoyed seeing this piece, Del--it is new to me. I also love your Wordless Wednesday photo (it is a photo? how'd you do that?). It reminds me of Gerhard Richter's pulled paint over photos, which I love btw.

Anonymous said...

You have moved me to tears. First with your well crafted words and then again with your exquisite ability to capture such an intimate and beautiful moment. Thank you for sharing it so openly.

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful! You need to show us your work once in a while so we can appreciate you all the more!!!

Suzanne Kistler said...

Beautiful.
I remember seeing this piece in Long Beach, the first time I was exposed to Journal Quilts.
Of the many quilts in the exhibit, that was one that really touched me, as it does now.

Thank you for sharing such an intimate piece. The quilt on its own, is worth a detailed study, but the motivation behind it makes it that much more powerful.

It's beautiful, Del

Rayna said...

Del, this is a knockout piece, both artistically and emotionally. I can see how it is poignant and difficult to look at, even after all these years. My heart goes out to you and I can identify with the "last trip" scenario. Treasure the memory.
love,
R.