Sunday, October 30, 2011

12X12 Quilts From TCQC 10-29-11

Some of you will be off to Houston soon and I want to put in a plug for the Special Exhibit of the 12X12 group  http://www.twelveby12.org/  and for their book "Twelve by Twelve: The International Art Quilt Challenge", published this year by Lark Crafts, a Division of Sterling Publishers.   Twelve quiltmakers, connected by the Internet, each committed to create twelve inch square themed quilts within a given time frame (60 days?).  They have completed two "sets" each composed of twelve quilts from each quilter and all of the quilts will be displayed in the Special Exhibit.  Only the first set (144 quilts) is included in the book.
 I have enjoyed this project from the beginning theme of Dandelion.  Watching the work of each quiltmaker as they struggle with designs, techniques, and deadlines, I have seen each one grow in ability and confidence.  I think that sharing their experiences in the book and showing the results of their efforts in the exhibit provides a chance for many quilters to learn and enjoy new directions in their own work.  So, I agreed to sponsor the exhibit at Quilt Festival in Houston and continuing to the subsequent venues in Cincinnati and Long Beach.  If you attend any of these Festivals I hope you will take some time to visit this Special Exhibit and study the quilts "in-the-fabric"
The quilts below are not part of the 12X12 project, but are quilts that were made by four of the twelve artists and are part of  TCQC.  All were purchased from SAQA online auctions.
"Tillamook Rooster" Terry Grant 2009  12" square. 

"Possibilities"  Deborah Boschert  2009  12" square 


"Village Series #7: Being Uprooted"  Kristin La Flamme  2007  12" square

"A Little Birdy Told Me"  Terri Stegmiller  2011  12" square
This one is from the SAQA auction this year and I have not yet posted about it, but I will soon. 
 Enjoy Houston, I wish I could be there, but right now it is just "too far, too hot, and too hard on the horses", as an old family saying goes.   
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Del! I'm travelling to Houston with Brenda. What an honour that is! I.m looking forward to seeing the 12's exhibition!

hugz

Susan Turney said...

Hi Del,
How wonderful that you sponsored the 12s. I love the Terri Stegmiller piece you showed. I bought one of her cat totes and I love her work. I also just bought a piece from Barbara Lardon. I'll send a photo to you soon.

dyanne cox said...

del, thank you so much for sponsoring the exhibit. i'm going to houston for the first time and am looking forward to seeing all these quilts.

Gerrie said...

So glad you posted this Del. We will take lots of photos of the quilt in situ and hope we make you proud. Really wish you could be there with us.

Terry Grant said...

Del, your support for us and our project has been one of the best parts of this whole adventure. It means so much to us, not simply the financial support, but your belief in us and our work.

Deborah Boschert said...

We are so excited to be able to share our 12x12 collection in Houston. Thank you so much for making it possible! Your enthusiasm and support are such an inspiration. Of course, I am honored to have a quilt in your collection.

Unknown said...

You sure do have a good eye, Del! Great additions to your collection. I am looking forward to seeing them in Cincy...I hope I'll make it!

Lisa

Del said...

Thanks! I hope you each have a great experience in Houston - I'll be sending good thoughts your way. AND I'll be looking forward to seeing the Special Exhibit in Long Beach next July. Meanwhile I'll be following you at http://www.twelveby12.org/

Laura Jaszkowski said...

Del, I admire your taste. I recently purchased and Terry Grant quilt myself and I LOVE Terri Stegmiller's work as well.

I just wanted to say thank you as well for your support of the art quilt movement. I wish there were more like you.

Laura Jaszkowski
P.S. I know you won't remember me but we met at one the Round Robin tables after one of the SAQA dinners in Denver. It was a pleasure.

Dolores said...

OK, is there anything you don't have your fingers in?@? What a great thing to do in this sponsorship!! You are really an amazing woman and I'm honored to know you!! I'm not going to Houston this year but who knows, maybe I'll make it to Long Beach. Thanks, Del!!! XX

Diane Perin said...

Del, it is so exciting and wonderful for us that you've made it possible for us to show our quilts at Houston. I wish you could be there but we will be sending good thoughts and, I'm sure, lots of pictures for you!

Christine Thresh said...

Del,
You are such a generous person. Your support of contemporary quilts is a gift to everyone.

Christine Thresh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin L said...

Your generosity is amazing Del. We thanked you every day we were in Houston. The experience was more than any of us could have asked for. Thank YOU for helping make it happen. We probably won;t make it to Cincinnati, but we're hoping for a few Twelves in Long Beach!!