Friday, September 2, 2016

After a week of gorgeous weather in Maine, I received a dose of rain in Massachussets.  I had stopped at the New England Quilt Museum (my first visit) and came out to just a few drops.  By the  time I was in my car it was really coming down in buckets and barrels.  Everyone drove sensibly at about 30mph and we snaked along creating monsoons from the water on the pavement.  Finally we started to come out from under the very black clouds.  I drove on to Westfield, MA, just a few miles west of Chicopee where I stayed on my way out.   I'm writing this on the morning of the 2nd because I was just too tired to write last night.  I had lots of birthday calls and e-mails and feel well "birthdayed" - my 78th.  Thanks to all.
From the wide open road....

...to the busy streets of Lowell, MA, is a big shock to my driving sensibilities.  Too many cars in too little space.
 
Which gave me time to contemplate the repurposed old brick buildings.
 
I was surprised to turn onto Shattuck Street and discover that some of the streets in Lowell are still paved with cobblestones.  Bumpy, noisy ride.

I parked directly in front of the New England Quilt Museum - that is my car reflected in the window.

I don't know how often this quilt is on display, but my heart skipped a few beats when I saw it hanging.  It is one of my top ten favorites of all the quilts I have ever seen.  Inspired.

It was interesting to read this very brief history of the quilt.  Note the plaids used as architecture a la Ruth McDowell.  They were in the same critique group for decades. 

 
Here is another "Archipelago" made by Susan Willen who is one of the original members of the "Quilts on the Wall" group that meets in Los Alamitos, CA.  The main display is currently of quilts about the drought from California.


Susan's presence in the quilting world continues to increase. 

Meanwhile the rain was just beginning.
 
We left plenty of space between cars on a crowded Interstate 90.
 

Closer to the edge of the storm.
 
These look like tornado clouds to me.  Nearby in Concord a tornado touched down about this same time of day.  Too close again!

In the Westfield, MA, parking lot of HIE the sunset lit clouds were lovely.
 
Here are the famous HIE cinnamon rolls - I only had one for breakfast this morning.
 
Onward west on I-90 which will take me to Cleveland.
#   #   #
 
 
 

4 comments:

Dolores said...

Happy Birthday my friend. You're a traveling 78 year old and I applaud you!! Have a great year and a safe and uneventful trip home. XX

Susan Turney said...

Happy belated birthday! I love that first quilt, too! It's hard to believe it was made so long ago. Safe travels home!

Loretta said...

On your way home already...please, bring a little rain with you. We're having a good amount of fires here in CA and need a little dampness. When you get home and rested, perhaps you'll share your workshop products with us and a bit of how to! Save driving.

Gerrie said...

A belated happy birthday - I always forget that we were born about a month apart. Safe travels home to the West Coast.