Saturday, February 24, 2018

A bird stitching class in a bird filled room 02-24-18

I spent today at Back Porch Fabrics sitting in on a class taught by Elizabeth Carrington from the book, " Stitching Textile Birds" by Rachel Sumner.  I was just an observer and found the class quite interesting.  Some of the ten students were experienced quilt makers and some quite new to the craft. My camera worked fine today, so I have pictures of the quilt exhibit to edit and will post more in the next couple days.  But here are a few pictures for you.

On the far left is just a tiny slice of Flamingoes.  Then going left to right:  Flowers Grow in Stony Places (the bird is a Shrike) by Karen Franzen, (top) Hidden Treasures (hummingbirds) by David Taylor, (bottom) Western Grebe w/babies by Del Thomas, (top) Little Wren (an Australian bird) by Sue de Vany, Swallow by Els Vereycken (Belgium, I think), The Sentinel by Judy Warren Tippets, City Bird at Yerba Buena Gardens (cowbird)  by Jean Renli Jurgenson, (top) Crow by Jill Le Croissette, Owl by Kathy Nida, (bottom) Early Birds (robins) by Ruth Powers.  In the alcove is Crossing the Road (rooster) by Karen Cunegin.  The opening to the shop is on the far right behind the lady in green T-shirt. 

This picture is of the wall to the left of the door into the shop.  He Caught Her Eye by Ruth McDowell, (top) Skimmers by Martha Wolfe, Essence of India by Caroline Higgs, Getting Her Ducks in a Row by Pamela Allen, (top) Oystercatchers by Del Thomas, Terns by Pamela Allen.

I cannot give you the names of the ladies who were among the ten students in the class. 

Beside enjoying the class and admiring the work that was done, it was a great opportunity to spend most of the time admiring the bird quilts.  I never see them all hanging at once, my house isn't large enough for that.  I love each and every one, but the Flamingoes is just so spectacular hanging on a big wall.  It is very special. 

Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar starts tomorrow and I am eager to get going.  I hope my computer will work there and I can continue to post every evening.  
#   #   #

1 comment:

Carol said...

So fun to see these quilts! What a relief that your camera is cooperating, Del!