Sunday, December 31, 2023

New Year Ahead 12-31-23

Just reminiscing about New Years past.  I have never been to the Rose Parade in Pasadena, although Floyd and I drove up several times after the big day to look at the fabulous floats parked along a street.  The crowd control was excellent, so everyone stayed happy and  friendly.  There were rows of porta-pottys to make everyone comfortable. 

The closest I came to actually attend the parade was about 1959 or 1960.   I was living with my paternal grandmother in Arcadia and went to an all night party with some friends - dancing, eating, snuggling, "carrying on".   My date dropped me off to change into warmer clothes while he went home to do the same.  It wasn't light yet and very cold.  I took off my party dress and, shivering every minute, started to layer on warm clothes. I looked  at my nice warm bed, yawned a few times, looked again at the clock, and called my date to say I  just  couldn't make  it.  He wasn't terribly disappointed and didn't go himself. As it turned out we were not the only chickens, about half the group actually went to watch the dawn and the parade.  By the time the next year rolled around I was living in Long Beach and had to work on holidays.  I was never tempted to go to the parade again.  I guess I am too much  of night owl.  Not very many sunrises in my life!  

In another hour it will be a new year.  I am very apprehensive what will happen to our country politically.  And also about the wars around the world.  I hope  you all stay safe and keep well.  Have a great 2024.   Love, Del and KoKo


#   #   #

7 comments:

Carol said...

Happy New Year, Del. I’m looking forward to some good times and nice lunches with you!

Rebecca said...

I don't think I'd like to try to attend the parade, but since I learned they have a lot for the floats, I have wanted to go see them. My husband is so leery of crowds that he doesn't even want to be in Pasadena around New Year!

The Rose Parade (and Bowl) has been a part of my life ever since I can remember. It's my birthday, and the family would watch the parade together. The University of Washington didn't get in the game that often, but at least it used to be Pac (8) vs. Big 10. My mother would make Chex mix, but I'd have to stick around for the game to have some.

Well, one a.m. and the fireworks are almost stopped. Guess I can sleep now!

Sherrie Spangler said...

That's a sweet story, and I can see why that warm bed would've been irresistible. I, too, am very worried about our country and our democracy, but I hope things might turn around this year. Happy New Year!

Loretta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Loretta said...

Have yourself a Healthy, Happy and Peaceful New Year, dear Del, and I hope that's true for all of us. Stay Well. xo

Mary Ann said...

That's funny, I actually attended the parade and the game in the late 60s. Ohio State beat UCLA, I went to Ohio State and was part of Block Ohio, we sat in the end zone and flipped cards to make pictures. It was the only way to get a seat for the games. That being said I was never a football fan. I liked the half time show with the Ohio State band. It is a great band. Block Ohio was part of the half time show. Happy, healthy New Year Ddel.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in South Pasadena, and went to many Rose Parades over the years. My uncle, 3 cousins and my sister and I would go. My dad would drive us as far north on Orange Grove Avenue as he could, up to the traffic barriers. And then we got out and walked a couple of blocks more, and he drove home. We carried two step ladders and a board to put between them. The older kids stood on the lower steps of the ladders, and the littles sat on the board. About the time the parade ended, my dad started driving north and we walked south till we met him. The crowds were much smaller in those days. Ladders wouldn’t be allowed now! Dottie