Saturday, June 28, 2008

Conflicting views 06-28-08

A few more of those things that strike me as odd.
I've seen a lot of the fish logos on vehicles and find that the people who display them to indicate their Christian faith aren't any more polite than those that don't. And some of them even know and use the one finger salute. When I saw this fish on the truck in front of me I crept up a little closer to be sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. I don't understand what he is trying to say. We were waiting at a level RR crossing so I had plenty of time to whip out my camera and click away. The driver probably wondered what I was doing, but he didn't jump out and shoot me - nice guy. Click to enlarge.

I've always been able to read words upside down pretty well and it can get me in trouble. When I read this sign on the street I quickly turned into a parking lot because I thought I was going the wrong way! I should have paid attention to the arrow, not the sign.

This shop is in Fullerton, but I can't figure out if it is a chain or one of a kind. I'd never seen this name before and it somewhat bothers me. Babies are not plants, though I guess they do basically come from seeds of a sort, and I find this a little offensive. Of course, you have to consider that I will be seventy this year and still carry some of the lessons I learned as a girl. One didn't even speak of pregnancy in public, much less have signs showing a womb with a little plant in it. Mothers-to-be wore clothes that camouflaged their condition - no longer. www.bellysprout.com

I must confess, I enjoy seeing that little computer response, "No misspellings found."

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Corky said...

I bought my brother one of those fish thingies that says TUNA inside. It's an inside joke because my maiden name was Tunison (pronounced TUNA-son) and we were always being called tunafish and fish. My brothers have also been called Charlie at times because of Charlie Tuna.

meggie said...

I find myself quite disconcerted when confronted with large naked pregnant bellies! It seems to be the fashion to flaunt them, with little skimpy tops under the bust, & very lowslung pants under the bulge.
I don't like the term 'baby bump' either! I must be getting old!

Christine Thresh said...

I like the fish logos with feet. I think they say Darwin inside.

Terry Grant said...

Wierd fish logo!

I am put off by the "Belly Sprout" sign as well. Don't think I'd shop there. There is a maternity shop in Seattle called "Pea in a Pod" that I think is part of a chain. For some reason this does not offend me in the least. In fact it tickles me a little. I think maybe I dislike the "belly" part of the other name more than the "sprout" part.

Del said...

I guess we are all of the same mind - or about the same age. The "belly" part of the name is offensive to most of us. I have a vivid memory of the first mother-to-be with the skimpy top and the hip huggers. Mentally I put my hands up in front of my face and cringed. I have never seen a fish logo with feet, but I wonder what Darwin would think! Thanks for the comments. Del