Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Del's Quilts 06-24-08

Picasa2 would not let me post pictures last evening - who knows why? Some sort of glitch - as annoying as they are it is wonder there are not more of them. How many people are using computers these days?
I didn't have anything exciting to post. I just thought I would show few of the quilts I have made. Although I made my first little dolly quilt more than sixty years ago, these were all made in the last twelve years.

"Goose In The Pond" Del Thomas 1996 40"W x 80"L

This is my favorite of all the bed quilts I have made. The sashing is made from a Ruth McDowell fabric that came out more than a decade ago. Derek Lockwood quilted it on his regular sewing machine.

"Passing Mars" Del Thomas 2003 36"W x 40"L
This is a triptych made in 2003 to mark August 27, 2003 when the planet Mars passed closer to Earth the it has since Neanderthals looked skyward in about 57,617BC. The planets won't be in such close alignment for another 284 years.
"Streamside" Del Thomas 1998 57"W x 40"L
The flower blocks were made in the second Ruth McDowell class I took, but they weren't assembled in this quilt for another six years! I am only marginally happy with it, but I suspect that is because I have learned so much from Ruth in the last ten years that this looks rather crude. I do like the color and the wonderful waving horizontal line of dots which I fussy cut from an African print. Great fabric.
These pictures were taken at Back Porch Fabrics in Pacific Grove when they were kind enough to hang "One quiltmaker, Many Voices", my solo exhibit in January 2007.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

Del! I LOVE each one!!
Goose In the Pond is one of my very favorite patterns and YOURS is Fabulous! I like the way you did your Passing Mars quilt, why have I never seen this? All the choices you made are interesting and show energy.
Streamside is wonderful! (->?" marginally?") I Love everything about it! It is happy and fun to look at!....Love them all!

Christine Thresh said...

Oh, my dear, "Passing Mars" is wonderful. I don't think I'll be around for the next one.

meggie said...

Just wonderful. I really like Streamside too. The colours appeal to me.