Saturday, July 31, 2010

Quilt Festival - Long Beach #11 07-31-10

This first quilt is from "Tactile Architecture 2009" and was made by a blogging friend. I do admire her work which has a whimsy that is different than that of Bodil Gardner, but just as appealing. Kristin has a lot of experience with being uprooted as she is married to a military man and has moved house many times.


Kristin recycles and uses references to traditional patchwork with the intent of connecting the past to the present. This piece is approx. 52" square. There are several of her small quilts in TCQC. Check out her website at:
http://www.kristinlaflamme.com/


"Ahuimanu Stream" Elizabeth Schowalter - Kaneohe, Hawaii An original design done with freehand applique, hand piecing and hand quilting. "This quilt was inspired by the stunning beauty of my island home. This stream begins as a waterfall high in the Ko'olau Mountains of O'ahu, Hawaii. As it journeys to the sea, it leaves in its trail a mystical paradise where nature's colors, songs, and scents burst forth in flowering blooms and soothing water rhythms." Elizabeth http://lizquilts.com/Home_Page.html


This is quite a beautiful quilt. The style she has used is similar to that of Terry Grant of Beaverton, OR, who also leaves a fine outline of black between the pieces of her applique. To me this design is reminiscent of the Craftsman art of the late 19th Century.
My friend Nancy Ota graciously allowed me to share her photos also. I have deleted the duplicates we took - I didn't do my usual thorough job of looking at every quilt and reading every sign, so there are some in her album that I missed completely. Enjoy!
http://picasaweb.google.com/DELQLTS/QFestivalLBeachOtaPix072910_files?authkey=Gv1sRgCPqaos_7hNy1ngE#

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Terry Grant said...

I love Kristin's houses with roots, and am lucky enough to have one. Glad you have some of her work. I think it is extraordinary! I was admiring the linework in Elizabeth Showalter's quilt, then saw that you mentioned my name! I'm flattered by the comparison. Lovely piece.

Patty ♣ said...

So far Del you have shown most of the quilts I wanted to take pictures of! Hurray! Nancy's pictures are also ones I was hoping to take ...Yay!

Loretta said...

Thank you so much Del for sharing these wonderful quilts with us. I look forward to sometime making it to the Long Beach show...perhaps 2011. Warm regards, Loretta

Gerrie said...

Oh, me too! Love, love Kristin's houses and it is not just because I am her art quilt mom!! I own a quite large house quilt which was one of the first that she did. She started it at Art Quilt Tahoe - I walked into the classroom and proclaimed it as mine.

Kristin L said...

Thank you Del for sharing the wonderful quilts at IQF Long Beach. It tickles me to no end that you mention my work in the same sentence as Bodil Gardner's. I absolutely love her work! And, as you know, Pamela Allen's work. I think there's a theme going there....

I'm also smiling that you've posted my work with Liz Scowalter's. We belong to the same guild here in Hawaii and I have had teh distinct pleasure of seeing her work up close and personal. It is more beautiful than photos can show.

And finally, thanks to Terry and Gerrie for their kind comments. I value both of them as friends and mentors and happily share my artwork with all of you! :-)