Sunday, July 25, 2010

Quilt Festival Long Beach Page #5 07-25-10

This quilt is from the "Hands All Around XXV - International Quilts" exhibit.

I looked very closely with my magnifying glass to see if I could figure out how she made this. I think she sewed the design on a layer of cotton and a layer of net and then cut out the cotton leaving the net as the 'connector'. But I can't imagine doing such work - how does one avoid cutting the net?


It would not be so successful without the diagonals.


Or without the checkerboard sashing.

No Goggle listing for Jane Lloyd and she isn't on the SAQA listing - I'd like to know more about her and her work.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

abelian said...

I was a "quilt angel" (white-glover) in that section, so I got to take a closer look with my glove. But I'm still not sure how it was made. Only a few of the arch sections had net over the top. The back of the quilt was muslin, and there were seams on the back between each arch section. I do think she made complete arches of, say, narrow red strips on yellow, yellow strips on orange, and so on, and then cut them in half vertically, rearranged, seamed, then added the large arches. Could it have been done like quilt-as-you-go, with the orange strips covering seams? It didn't have any batting; at most there might have been a layer of thin flannel.

I love that quilt.

Dottie D

abelian said...

P.S.

I Googled "Jane Lloyd Antrim", and found her website:

http://www.janelloydtextiles.co.uk/

DD

Rayna said...

Jane is charming and usually does circles, if I recall. I am enchanted with the rhythm of her work.
This one makes me a bit dizzy, however.