Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Quilt Festival - Long Beach #7 07-27-10

I enjoyed the special exhibit "America Collects Quilts: Int'l Quilt Festival's Antique Quilts". There were 36 quilts, so it was hard to choose just one to post here. I have no idea why I chose this one, the colors?, the design?, the details? The quilting was not fine, in fact a little quirky.

"Four Block Rose and Coxcomb" Circa 1880 by an unknown maker. Hand pieced, appliqued and quilted. The color in the quilt is much more even than in the photo - those strategically placed spot lights are great for seeing the quilts, but not so great for photography.

Just think about it, she was undoubtedly working by candle light or kerosene lamps.

"Horned Puffins of the Pacific" Emilie M. Belak - Danville, Washington

Machine applique, pieced and quilted. Couching, painting, dyeing [also scrunching of fabric. Del] Inspired by the late Joan Colvin's painterly art quilts. "My favorite Province, British Columbia, has everything to please one's heart: oceans and mountains, fields and waves, beaches and snow avalanches, singing birds, lumbering grizzlies, and playful Orcas. Horned puffins, attractive and charming sea birds, lay a single egg in a deep crevice on cliff or hillside. A hinged bill enables these expert fishers to snap up fresh prey while keeping a firm grip on those already caught." Emilie

I chose this closeup because the fish made me laugh - I find it very witty with its glassy eye!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rayna said...

quirky goes a long way with me!