Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Traveling & Hanging Quilts 02-21-18

I guess I am getting too old to drive or "do" all day!  I drove from Dana Point (Surfside Board Meeting) to San Juan Bautiste yesterday.  It was seven hours total and I didn't get here until six and, of course, it was dark.  Somehow the road from the actual town of San Juan Bautista to Mary and Joe's house in the hills is twice as long after dark.  There are no street lights going up into the canyon and not even very many houses with lights and then they are way off the road.   And the road is very rough and very curvaceous.  And it was very cold when I arrived - probably 50F or so.  Slept like a log for eight hours - unheard of!  

This morning I drove to Pacific Grove (45min to 1 hour) with the bird quilts and arrived just after Back Porch opened.  Gail Abeloe was all set up to start and we had the quilts and the slats sorted before noon when we stopped to have lunch at the Mexican restaurant (starts with an M) on the next street, right behind Back Porch.  Salmon tacos were fabulous - served with rice, beans and salsa w/chips.  Maybe better than Peppers, but they don't always have salmon tacos.  Then back to work with Sharon Winter helping out, bless her, my rotator cuff  injury is very limiting.   By 3pm we had every thing hung and labeled and it is a FANTASTIC display.  Do travel to Pacific Grove before the end of April to see these amazing quilts.  Ruth McDowell's "A Rash of Famingoes" hangs in place of honor, looking wonderful.  Along the bottom see the little Guinea fowl and see if you can count how many flamingoes there are.  They are so squeezed together, just like flocks of real living flamingoes, that is is hard to tell which part belongs to which bird.  There are 46 quilts by many different artists and four or five with more than one quilt on display.   Ruth McDowell, Pamela Allen, Terry Grant, Martha Wolfe, Ruth Powers, Kathy Nida, David Taylor, Kathleen McCabe, and dozens of others.  SEE THIS EXHIBIT!

Of course, the incentive to visit Back Porch is the amazing collection of fabrics they have on their shelves.  I had to do a little shopping and ended up with about 10 yards!  Including a few for my box to Ruth McDowell.  And quite a few for the fat quarter box I share with my classmates - this year in Sue Benner's "Flower" class.  

I have no pictures for you because there is something wrong with my camera and every picture is blurred.  Mary has loaned me her camera and I will retake the pictures when I go to sign in for class on Sunday.  Or I might drive over there again.  I'll see how tired I am tomorrow.  But I do have some cutting and fusing to do before class time. 

#   #   #  

3 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

This sounds like a fantastic show! I wish I could get down to see it, but that won't be happening. I hope you can share photos soon.

Carol said...

I’d love to see these quilts, Del! So nice if you to share them.

Loretta said...

I will take a ride down. I haven't been down to Pacific Grove in quite some time and I love this little town and adore Back Porch Fabrics! Have a fun time in Sue's workshop.