Sunday, February 18, 2018

Re- posting of an Elizabeth Barton quilt 02-18-18

As you can see this quilt was first posted in 2009.  It is a mainstay of the collection and has been included in many exhibits and programs.  I still love it and hang it in my house and loan it to my quilt- loving friend at other times.  There are half a dozen of Elizabeth's quilts in the TCQC, every one a jewel.  

Elizabeth Barton's "Red Gate" 12-13-09

"Red Gate" Elizabeth Barton 2003 39"W x 63"L
Cotton fabrics - hand dyed, screen printed - Machine and hand pieced, appliqued & stitched.
This is one of several quilts Elizabeth has based on her pictures taken in Whitby, an old fishing village in Yorkshire, UK. She says in one of her artist's statements, "I love the signs of age on old buildings and steps - the soft signs of the wear of many feet - the way the roof lines gently curve and the houses lean together." The photo she used as inspiration was taken many years ago and she felt it haunting her - it was 30 years before she made this quilt.
I had a thick folder on Elizabeth Barton's work before I ever saw one of her quilts "in-the-fabric". I had been looking at two different quilts on her website and knew I would buy one of them. Then in 2004 San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles featured Elizabeth in one of their exhibits and both quilts were included. I drove up to see my friend Mary and we visited the museum. I knew immediately which quilt I would choose. Elizabeth felt that since I had actually seen the quilt first in San Jose that the museum should have their profit, which I thought was an amazingly generous thing to do. Since then I have purchased three more E.Barton quilts directly from her and coveted quite a few more! I also count her among my quilt making friends around the world. A very special lady.

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Thank you Del for the inspiration...I signed up for Elizabeth's on-line class. Let's see how far I get and what I get!