Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Painted House 08-13-08

I was sure I had a photo of the house taken several years ago when the paint had not deteriorated so much and the coreopsis were blooming in the front yard. However, I cannot find it - Jeff, the painter, will be unhappy.

This is how the house looked after Jeff (and company) had scrapped and sanded.


Here is the house just as the sun was going down this evening. I like it very much. I'm glad that I decided to paint the garage door grey, it isn't as 'in your face' as it was when it was white.

Here you can see the north side of the house which has a very large attic. Neighbors down the street remodeled and put a bedroom, bathroom and playroom upstairs. They gave up the linen closet to make stairs. We thought about it, but two people don't need five bedrooms. However, I wouldn't mind another bath and a laundry room.

This house is the same model as ours and is a greener grey w/white trim. I have always loved the flying pig weather vane (NOT original to the house) and the small one in the flower bed to the right of the garage.

And here is another of the same model. Not only is the house light grey river stone, but the very high fence along the side street is the same. It is a little overpowering. I thought they might add more landscaping to soften it, but it has been several years and nothing more has been added.

I find that one of the hard things about being a widow is not having someone to share the decision making. I don't have children and my sister lives in Portland, OR, so I am on my own unless I can find someone knowledgeable who is willing to give opinions and/or advice. I think the paint color looks good on the house and I am glad that I chose it. And I would recommend Jeff, the painter, to anyone - shows up on time, works like a slave, cleans up every day and is willing to make a suggestion now and then. I'll save up some money and have him do the inside - sometime this fall, I hope.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

dee said...

the house looks wonderful Del. That's very close to the color we have and I would like to make it a little more gray next time. The river rock house would have been nice if they used it as an accent here and there. It's a bit much the way it is.
Bet you're glad it's finally done.

Christine Thresh said...

Your house looks very, very nice with the new paint. Good choice.

The house with the light grey river stone is a little overpowering. I would leave out the word "little." I hope your neighbors don't read your blog.

Frogdancer said...

I'm glad you're happy with the colour. I'm in a similar situation to you (only I'm divorced, not widowed.... I thought leaving him was preferable to murdering him!!!) and a couple of years ago I had to make the same decision about colours for the house. It's so huge, because if it looks awful you're stuck with it.
I went with neutrals, which looks alright... but I think in 10 years time I'll go with something with a little more oomph to it. You've made the right choice.