Saturday, October 12, 2019

Hand stitching project 10-12-19

Yesterday I went to a meeting of my small art quilt group, there are only four of us and we enjoy each other's company.  Yesterday we met in a member's home with our hand stitching projects and had our bag lunches on her tranquil patio.  Lovely.  Sometimes we go on short excursions to galleries, museums, shops, whatever. 

My project is repairing the little sewing "roll" I made from a Sharon Craig pattern oh-so-many-years-ago.  I have used it all this time to carry my yoyo projects.  Mostly the little 1/2" red ones that make up into cranberry garlands for a Christmas tree.  It is just the right size to hold the cut circles, a spool of red thread, needles, thimble, tiny scissors, and the finished yoyos strung on a thread to keep them "corralled" lest they fly out whenever I open the roll.  

The large yoyos that make up the ends of the roll have a plastic stiffener inside and after all the years of wear the plastic finally came through.  
I cut two new 5-1/4" circles in similar fabric, cut new plastic stiffeners.  Ripped out the old and washed the rest of the roll, except for the little pin cushion.  

I reused the little pocket for the thimble sewn to the back of one of the end yoyos.  

Glad I had pastel fabric that would coordinate with the older fabrics.  

When all the contents are inside I just pull the ribbons around and tie them. 

And it looks like this.  A very handy little pouch. 

#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

How sweet and very handy....thank you for a sewing friend's gift idea!