Tuesday, August 30, 2011

APWQ QShow 08-29-11

This special exhibit from the Columbia FiberArts Guild (formerly Columbia Stitchery Guild) offered a wide variety of techniques and skill levels.  These are some of my favorites.


Since the quilt "Malecon" was not displayed near the bowl I don't know what the relationship might be.  But the bowl is stunning.  I wished that I could look straight into it, instead of at an angle.  It is quite shallow and the irregular edge is an additional enhancement.  Nice piece. 


Another stunning piece of work - although it doesn't say "Mt. Hood" to me!  The colors are lovely and the quilting accentuates the mountain.   I always find Terry's quilts exciting and original and have added a number of her pieces to TCQC.  Her Blog is  http://andsewitgoes.blogspot.com/  You can also see her work at the 12x12 website  http://www.twelveby12.org/


I think the color in this piece is original and lovely.  However, the quilting doesn't seem to relate to the piecing or the subject stated in the label.  Quilters don't seem to use grey very often.


Another Terry piece (sorry, it is out of order here) with tremendous detail.  She talks about the process on her Blog http://andsewitgoes.blogspot.com/



 
Nicely done discharged fabric and effective use of it.


Nice color, great fabric selection, effective quilting.  And kudos to Lisa for recognizing Ruth McDowell's contribution - not something that most artists bother doing.  I saw very little mention of artists who taught or influenced the pieces shown at this exhibit.


Another piece where Lisa has used Ruth's techniques, but the fabric selection is uniquely Lisa's.  Good color.

I will be at Mary's tomorrow night.  I told her I plan to spend the next three days in bed.  Not so, I'll spend a lot of it on the computer trying to catch up.  I have not read Blogs since I left home more than two weeks ago and I am eager to catch up with my friends in the Blogsphere.  We also need to pay homage at Back Porch, have lunch at The Red House and find an Olallieberry pie so Joe and I can celebrate our birthdays.  It is always quiet and peaceful in the live oak woods, so I will relax and recuperate before I go home and 'hit the ground running'.  More APNQ quilts all this week.
Posted by Picasa






1 comment:

Patty ♣ said...

Beautiful Quilts! Something for everyone! You have a wonderful birthday Del!I will be thinking of you all day tomorrow!Birthday Hugs!!