Wednesday, August 31, 2011

APWQ QShow 08-31-11

The category with the most entries (41) was Traditional Large, unlike the other open entry shows I have attended where traditional has become a very small category.  Pictorial Small (34) came next and then Art Small (28).  Here are the pictures I took of those quilts.  If you are interested in further info on the categories and size requirements let me know and I will send them to you.


Here is another quilt made with Ruth McDowell's techniques. A rather Cubist version of an Indian brave.

The label is misleading - try reading it "The center of the quilts is foundation pieced....".
Nice color and there is the grey again.  I was told today that the "modernists" are using a lot of grey.



I found the colors in this quilt pleasing (yellow and blue, again), but the design seems very chaotic - perhaps that is intentional in keeping with the artist's statement.

And this is the entire poem which was posted in a separate label with the quilt.




Appropriate name, great color and a very festive feeling. 

A sort of pastel Amish look.  Nice smooth curves in the quilting, but how does it relate to the design?



Unusual but effective use of crayon rubbing - a technique that has been around for a very long time, but mostly on paper.  The hand quilting is primitive which seems in keeping with the uneven rubbing. 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Dolores said...

My emails to you keep bouncing back so I'll use this space - have you a new address? I love your blogs and just caught up after spending 5 days in LA coastal area with my daughter. I know you get tired but so wonderful you can still travel so keep it up!! Also was inspired by your many quilt photos, especially Judy Robertson's piece. I LOVE her work and her fabric. Take care, friend, and we'll talk soon. XX

Patty ♣ said...

I especially like the Indian Brave...
♪♫ HAPPY BIRTHDAY!♪♫ to you today Del!!

Dolores said...

Didn't know it was your birthday, Del, so many wishes are coming your way for good health, happiness, and lots of fun and quilting!!! XX